Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Blog neglect

I have been bad, haven't I??? I think of things to write, but I always want pictures to go with it and that is the part that sticks me up.

So no pictures this time.

The silkworms are doing their silkworm thing. Chompers is getting fat and happy off of them. They have turned out to be so much easier to keep than I had thought. All the websites I have read warn of dire consequences if you don't keep them in a totally sterile environment, wear rubber gloves, only touch them with tweezers. Not the case so far. I do take a little care to have clean hands and such, but they aren't as fragile as you'd be lead to believe. So that's nice. I do spend way too much time watching them though. The big news (on the bug front at least...) is that some of the cocoons have started hatching!! If you thought the worms were cute, the moths are even cuter!! Really! They are so furry and they have this Groucho Marx eyebrow antenna things going on. I will try to get pictures of that soon. Big sausage fest though...about 9 guys to only 3 girls. The moths have been successful doing the things moths are supposed to do and I have several hundred itty bitty eggs. If I can get those to actually hatch, I will have officially completed the silkworm lifecycle. Well...I guess *I* haven't, but I have witnessed it, how's that??

Fiber stuff. Finished another baby blanket, didn't like it though. It was a ripple that I had tension issues with for some reason (not usually a problem for me) It pulled in towards the middle. I put a border on it to try to hide it, didn't like the border. I won't be giving it to the person I intended it for, but I think it's good enough for a charity blanket. Not to say that charity items should be 2nd rate, just that there honestly isn't anything wrong with it construction-wise, I'm being too picky about the aesthetics to use it as a gift. Does that make me evil???

I finished spinning the yummy blue/green stuff I originally planned to ply it, but decided once again that I liked it as a single. This is definitely shawl stuff. Now I can get started on some of the new roving down below. Actually I have some other fiber I should finish, but I don't wanna. The first 3 skeins are majorly overspun singles. Yes, I set the twist & blocked it. Tried re-wetting and hanging with a weight to see if that would help. It did not. Decided to plow ahead and try crocheting with it anyway, it's so sproingy that it's giving me fits. I've even been trying to dangle the WIP to let the yarn untwist a little. Obviously that isn't going well. So I'm not very motivated to spin up the last 6 oz or so, which is silly. Beautiful color too, I'm mad at myself for messing it up.

Alrighty, I think that will do it for now.

Oh, one other thing. I love reading the comments I've been getting. I'm not sure what etiquette is about commenting about the comments.... so I'm not ignoring you guys, just not sure what the deal is....

No comments: